Matcha Green tea has been a staple in my house ever since my mom and I discovered it back in 2010. We discovered matcha at our local health food store in our hometown. We were introduced to it by a kind lady working at the store that day. She had explained to us all the benefits of matcha and instantly we knew we had to give it a try. Seven years later I still find ways to incorporate it in my daily life such as smoothies, snacks and even desserts!
Here is a short list of my favourite benefits of Matcha:
Packed with Antioxidants
- Ah antioxidants… Surely we’ve all heard this word before but what does it actually mean? Well, an antioxidant is a substance, such as vitamin E, vitamin C, or beta-carotene, that protects body cells from the damaging effects of oxidation. Oxidation in the body damages cell membranes and other structures including cellular proteins, lipids and DNA. So if you think of oxidation in terms of fresh produce, oxidation is when you leave an avocado or an apple exposed to air and it eventually turns brown. Now we definitely don’t want that happening in our body or on our skin.
Boosts Memory and Concentration
- L-Theanine is the production of dopamine and serotonin. Dopamine and serotonin play a large role in controlling mood. They improve memory, enhance mood, and promote better concentration.
Helps with Immunity
- Matcha contains polyphenols, catechins and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which helps to boost your immune system and promotes overall health and wellness.
- The energy obtained from Matcha is largely due to the fact that it works in a synergistic manner with all of the other nutrients found in Matcha. The combination of phytonutrients, antioxidants, polyphenols and caffeine help with a sustained energy boost throughout the day. You can safely consume this product without any of the side effects of coffee such as jitteriness, headache, anxiety and nausea.
These Matcha Energy Bites taste incredibly delicious. They’re a perfect morning or mid-afternoon snack when you need a pick me up!
Matcha Energy Bites
- 3/4 cup Gluten-Free Oat flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Maple syrup, honey (or choice of preferred sweetener)
- 1 Tbsp Matcha Green Tea
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
Chocolate Drizzle (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until well combined
- Roll into roughly 1″ thick balls
- Optional* drizzle with chocolate
- Store in fridge and enjoy!
- To add more sweetness, decrease the amount of coconut oil, as needed.
- To decrease sweetness, increase amount of coconut oil or coconut milk, as needed.